Monday, December 18, 2017

"Ever-After"

Tomorrow, will mark 3 years that I have been married to Tandance Jo.  Since I started writing blogs, and my thoughts she has been waiting on her novel, solely about herself of course.  We have an interesting story.  To be frank, I do not know any part of my life that is not interesting, unique, or seemly a little complex.  Not sure why I thought finding my soulmate would be any different.  As a little girl you have these ideals in your head what it all should look like.  Rest assure, it doesn't look anything like that.  My picture of ever-after looked like I would be on the mission field teaching children.  It looked like  I would marry a dark hansom man, most likely of another nationality.  I would just be loving Jesus, and having kids.  I would be treated like a princess, because my daddy taught me to not settle for anything else.  Scripture says,"Delight yourself in the Lord, and He will give you the desires of your heart."  I believed it.  I still do.  Since I was 18 years-old, I have been on this journey learning sometimes we just do not even know what really are the desires of our heart until they unfold, little by little.

I did not think that ever-after would be 21 years older than me, female, 2 boys, 3 dogs, 2 cats, and teaching in the heart of the highest crime, and drug related city in America as of right now.  I didn't think it was going to be a house on a hill, coaching sports, community advocate for children, or a minister.  I didn't think that ever-after would be a journey of broken hearts, some broken dreams, and plain ole missing the mark.  I didn't think ever-after would consist of so many schedules, dirty laundry, dinners organized, processes to complete a task, and so many lists. (Tandy makes lists for everything.)

Mainly, I did not think that ever-after would be as full as it is.  It is full of laughs, from sun up to sun down.  It is full of yelling, hugs, kisses, experiences of life, hard decisions, gentle touches, food, giving, many sorries, sweatshirts (now just not 2 closets full but every bed post), socks (I can't even shut the drawer), bras (hanging on every knob in our bathroom), 3 drawers given just for PJs for the winter, or so many 'Shit Fire Chana Dawns' one day could handle.  I am full.

I have received the once in a life-time love from another human-being that loves me just the way I am.  That even in my craziness of always on the move, she keeps me grounded and stable.  That is a task all to itself.  I got the desire of my heart.  The packaging didn't happen the way I thought it would, but God typically never sends it that way.  It is His M.O. so it seems.  The King of kings, Prince of Peace, and Lord of lords came into this world in dirty animal shack, and was introduced as an adult riding on a jack ass.  If Jesus was from God and that was His packaging,  then I must realize my 59 year-old, arthritic hands,  cussing bulldog, hilarious wife, who drinks Michelob Ultra, yet masterful cook, with the heart as big as Texas, as she puts every ounce of love on a plate is also from the Lord.  Tandance Jo is mine, and I am hers.  I still get engulfed by her smile, laugh, and hospitality to others.  I make her laugh, even though she at times wants to kill me.  I flash a half crooked smile which makes her not want to snap my neck.  I am treated like a princess, yet I scoop her up every chance I get.  WE were given the desires of our hearts.  Three years ago, I married my ever-after.

No comments:

Post a Comment