Saturday, December 23, 2017

"Look for the Gift"

On this early Saturday morning, I cannot help but almost be on my knees begging for Charlee (the puppy) to please sleep-in. At 5 a.m. on the dot, she would not hear of such things.  However, this morning we have more than a party of one.  Not sure why Millie (our English Bulldog),  has jumped at the opportunity to get in the action this morning, but today it seems it suits her.  If you have never been around a English Bulldog they are very comical in their own right.  They are funny looking, graced with an underbite, short nose, and let the wrinkles fall where they may. Funny looking.  The kind that are so ugly, that they are cute.  They make the weirdest noises, with every movement, or even when they are not moving at all.  It is constant Chewbacca-like sounds, yet moves like Jabba-the-hut, as they pivot on their butts using their front paws while they are sitting.  They are very "bullheaded" as you give commands.  Some would say, "Now be nice.  They are just stubborn."  However, she makes us laugh.  I always have wanted this breed of dog.  I like beefy dogs, but this breed always seemed out of my reach as they are pricey.  I also have heard they all have medical issues. Knock on wood, so far I have found to be false.  But in this house, I am Millie's person.  As I even type that,  I am shaking my head...smh, because she is a hot mess.

Millie doesn't like to share. She wants control of every environment, food bowl, dog toy, dog bed, or even when everyone needs to go out to potty. If she is around, you will not have any personal space, and at times no breathable air.  (Her gas is horrible.)  Did I say I always wanted this dog and how pricey they are? Typically to the tune of $1000- $2800. Ohh and at the moment while everyone else is sleeping this house its like romper-room... my Shhhh isn't cutting it.  I am really waiting for the sleeping to start awakening, and then implode on Charlee and Millie, maybe then I can go back to bed.

It seems dogs lately are teaching me a lot about humanity.  Millie is very relatable and I know people just like her.  We all are stubborn at times, want control, have horrible gas, give others no space, and can be funny looking.  While others just sit back, and laugh at us.  I wonder sometimes does God think some of the ways we think about things? "Oh look, she is so ugly that she is cute.  I can't help, but love her."  One must wonder.  My God is like that I believe.  He finds somewhat humor in my nastiness, yet loves me anyway.  My God knew how pricey I was, and bought me anyway.  Knowing how many issues I really could have and do have.

We are days away from what the Christian community calls, Advent to be over.  Christmas is almost here.  It seems that this is a time of year that we want all our ugliness to disappear.  We go to Church more in this season, be more kind to others during this season, spend time with each other during this season, eat more during this season,  sing more, give and receive more in this season.  It is the season of more of our best of whatever that is, and who deserves what gift?  We teach children, naughty or nice is the definition of who gets what or gets period.  But is that true? Not just in this season, but in life?  I can attest that in my adulthood, nasty people still get good gifts.  Which conflicts with everything I have ever been taught.  Just like with Millie, she is probably the nastiest character/personality of pet we have, but she definitely has the most in this house.  If she doesn't she will take it anyway.  I know those people.  Those people in life that we say, "But they don't deserve that..." Whatever that might be.  Then we mutter, "Life is just not fair."  How do we rationalize those that lie, cheat, steal, and continue to have more than those that are honest, and work hard?   Is it life is just not fair?  I don't buy it anymore.

We have all heard spiritual spin, "For he causes the sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the just and the unjust."  Here is the difference that I rationalize...being good, kind,  working hard, and loving the Lord will always bring me hope, peace, joy, and love.  An Advent season all the time.  Imagine that?  I do not need to anticipate something I already have.  For me this is not the season for the anticipation of Christ birth during the Advent season, but the acknowledgement I have a gift that I too do not deserve, but there is no waiting or anticipating needed.  So even when the sun rises on the evil and good and the rain comes to the just and unjust... I am not still seeking with anticipation like maybe the evil or so called unjust are...I have my hope, peace, joy, and love.  No one can take that from me, nor can anything or anyone give it to me... it just was a gift, I didn't deserve but just needed to receive.

No comments:

Post a Comment