Monday, December 4, 2017

"Tis the Season"

This weekend we (my family which consist of two boys 11 and 9 years old) got into a car conversation about Santa Claus.  We had plenty of time as we drove for 3 hours home from our Christmas tree 'getting' trip.  Before we even started our research, the 9 yr-old, said "I believe Santa Claus is Jesus."  Interesting I thought.  But we did what all good modern families do when we want to know something, we Googled it.  What in the world did we ever do before Google?  I can remember having Encyclopedia Britannica when I was the boys ages.  I would lay in the living room floor when I wanted to know information looking through these massive books, and thinking how rich we were because my friends did not have those.  We were not rich by any means, but it was one of the best buys my parents ever did for us.  It is no secret that I cannot spell, and hardly ever use correct grammar, however I love to learn new information.  I own my weaknesses, in moderation of course.

As we read our findings about Santa Claus on Google, it was interesting, because the stories actually were very similar to stories about Jesus.  There is a woman who I adore who always would say, "People pray to the God of their understanding."  I would think to myself in my box of a brain, "No" there is only one God, and be very defensive in my mind.  What I have come to realize is what she was meaning, "Yes there is only one God, but people call God many different names."  My mind to religious openness is very skewed.  However, it is interesting that we project our thoughts of who Santa is like our thoughts of who God is to us.  We create songs about.  "Who is naughty or nice? Santa Claus is coming to town."  Isn't that what we teach about Jesus? Good go to heaven. Good gets the gifts.  And you better be good because we do not know the day or time he is coming.  My 9 yr-old was right.  We have made Santa like Jesus.  "To the God of our understanding."  Epic fail.  Then when we learn Santa is not a 'real' person, we begin to talk about the Spirit of Christmas or the Spirit of Santa Claus.

How is it determined who is naughty or nice?  I am sure others have multiple answers to that question; Whether it is a checklist, belief system, or both. God to you might be Jesus, Santa, Buddha, Yahweh, Allah, Creator or Created.  Maybe just maybe the question of this season should not be, "Who is naughty or nice? But what is naughty or nice?"  Now doesn't that change our perspective?  It's not a person, but actions of others.  This then changes how we treat people or allow others to be treated.  "Tis the season." Why is it so hard for us just to be kind? Honest? Giving? Love? Hope? Have Faith? And why in the world do we wait for the Christmas Spirit, Advent Season, or whatever you want to call it, or believe in to be all those things?  As if we need an excuse to be giving, and kind with all the attributes that go with it. However, "Tis the Season."


No comments:

Post a Comment