Monday, November 20, 2017

"Walking Dead"

Yesterday I was at a funeral, it is never a pleasant thing to do, but we do it out of respect and love for the ones left behind.  It is amazing to me the only difference in life and death is one breath, one heart beat.  What a small difference? As I sat there on the platform, looking out to those who mourn, I thought to myself this is not quite fair.  Here we all are stuck in life, while the loved one gets glorious death.  Isn't that what it is?  Isn't really what all "Christians" want? Death? To see Jesus? To see God? No one ever really fights for their death, but they fight for their life.  We get plagued by cancers, tumors, strokes, heart-attackes, high blood pressure, diabetes, and then just plain ole' accidents.  We fight.

I once watched a God-fearing lady, you know the 'let me just sit at your feet' kind,  hear the news, "You will not walk again.  You will lose your foot. You do not have much time left."  Do you know it's been about 3 years, and she was kicked out of Hospice care, because she just would not die.  She can move and has her feet.  I watched as she got the news sing hymns about her Jesus.  You can't help, but feel a little cheated.  She was so close to that glorious death.  However, she was chosen to be part of the "Walking Dead."  It is not just a crazy show with great make-up artist.

I am learning more and more we humans have things so backwards and that we just miss it.  Miss what? The whole point in and of our journeys.  We put value on things that do not matter, and neglect what does.  I am learning my instinct of original thought typically is contrary to how God views almost everything.  I have been taught and pounded into my head the don'ts and dos, the good and the bad of behavior of Christianity, and quite frankly found most of it hypocrisy.  I have watched Ministers use crafty manipulation for gains in money, clout, and reputation while neglecting forgiveness, confession, restoration all of which is the basis of Christianity.  So we fight for life, not death.  Death comes with forgiveness, confession, and restoration.  No longer is the view set for my gain.  Life is totally "MY and ME" statements, but the minute my choice, becomes death...I show mercy.  I forgive. I confess wrongs. I seek restoration.  I become among the "WALKING DEAD."

Whether it is in this life or the next, Death is what I seek.  A glorious death. Now that's crazy talk, you say.  You're right it is...but just like yesterday as I stood reading an obituary to those that were mourning.  I realized the words I was reading were words of a glorious death which in-turn brought so much life.  The loved one who passed was part of the "Walking Dead."  Most did not even realize it, because our views are so contrary to God's views.

1 comment:

  1. I think you have discovered what few discover in this life. It is death that brings us life. I have now buried all of my immediate family and the one thing I am left with is my holding on to material things that they are now free of. I am still burdened by all the earthly issues while they are free. Todd no longer has to worry about that property on the river but I still struggle and hold on to things they have all left. We do have it backwards I think. One of the things that happen when people die is that forgiveness and mercy and grace. We suddenly are able to give all of those things and it releases all of us from sin. Our sin is not a bunch of dos and don'ts but rather that holding on to things that separate us from God and each other. Truly when we die to the self and live in Christ we become alive but dead to this world. We should all learn to be the walking dead and then maybe others will see Jesus and live.

    Thank you for you words today and yesterday and for your kindness and support.

    ReplyDelete