Tuesday, November 28, 2017

"Sand Drawing"

There is a fine line between showing mercy and fighting for justice.  When is it that we show mercy or fight for justice?  What are the situations when we choose mercy over fight for justice.  We as individuals always hope we are at the end of a mercy decision, but yet we impose the fight for justice upon others, or just the fight, period.

There is a story about this very thing, mercy verses fight for justice.  A woman did not follow the Mosaic law and was actually caught as we would say, "red handed" while breaking the law.  It doesn't really matter what law was broken, however a group of people wanted to fight for justice.  Justice said, "Stone Her!" They brought her to be judged by the ultimate judge.  Surely, he will fight for justice? Right?  The group gave all the reasons why justice should happen.  He sat with no emotions drawing in the sand, listening.  As the group had finished with their pleas, He stood up and profoundly made their accusations toward her relatable toward them.  He made a connection in humanity, and showed mercy.  Not just mercy to the woman, but mercy to the accusers also.  Interesting, isn't?

My personality is instinctively to "Flip Tables/ Fight for Justice."  Great quality, right?  Most of the time I think so...actually I would say 98% of the time, I think so.  (Bluntness is not a quality I lack.) Until I am "Flipping Tables," yet should be showing mercy, so that I too can receive mercy.  Mercy means I have to reflect on why I too need it. Yuck!!  It means I have to relate to another. It means I am not perfect.  It means humanity is connected.

Remember the 98% of the time I think "Flipping Tables" is a great quality,  I just realized what that really means is I need mercy 98% of the time.  Ugh... I now will sit the table back down.  Maybe the next time I feel the urge to grab a table, I will force myself to just start drawing in the sand.

No comments:

Post a Comment