Friday, January 5, 2018

"Connect the Dots"

Have you ever walked into a room, and forget why you walked in there?  Or have you ever call out to your children, spouse, someone in the house, and forget what you were going to say or ask of them?  Those things drive me nuts when I do them.  I have notice the older I get the more I do them.  I use to also make fun of women that said, "They lost their brains after giving birth to their children."  However, it is really a thing. Trust me.  Seems like my memory was sucked right out of me by two measly 6 lb. boys.  Once you get to the room you stand there for a second, still can't remember you just move on to something in that room. My favorite is when I walk back to where I was, and still try to remember, then shake my head at myself.

Every now again, I reflect on 'my story.'  As I reflect, in my mind I think,  I do not want to ever forget that.  I am realizing that most of us think and remember in bullets.  You know, like a history timeline.  We do not remember much of the in-between just the bullet points.  Why is that?  What makes the bullets so important to us?  Our memory bullets are changes good or bad of direction in our lives. Something that you can say, "Change happened here."  But what about the in-between?  Do we just forget about it?  Do we ever learn from it, or are we just jumping from dot to dot of the imprints of our lives? Interesting thought isn't it?

I can accurately state, in-between my bullets, my dots, the line is not straight.  My line would look more like a mountain range.  Maybe that's why we like to forget about the in-betweens.  It is the in-betweens that make the bullets.  It reminds me of playing sports.  The player with the assist typically never gets the glory.  It is always the one making the points.  I was not that kind of player.  I always wanted to help make the team look good, not just me.  I was a setter in volleyball. Now I could hit, but leading as a setter you have more control of the game.  You are the glue of the team.  Same in basketball, good passes, rebounds, defense, creates opportunities.  I loved creating opportunities.  I am the how did I get there girl.

Some might focus on the bullets of life, but I want to know how that even occurred.  How did I get where I am today, when all the odds were against me?  What created the shifts in life?  I wonder at the end of life, and I meet my Maker are the bullets that stand out to me going to be the same as the Makers? Probably not.  I would venture to say my Maker cares about the line in-between the dots.  The end result is never the focus, but the journey of the in-between.  That is what creates heart, and character.  It is never if I feed the hungry, clothed the poor, or give to those in need, however it is always the journey of my heart to get me to that point.

My daily reading today came from the book of Genesis. Chapter 18:14 says, "Is nothing too hard for the Lord?" Of course I would say, "No!"  But do I believe that?  We pray for all kinds of things, but maybe it is not the fact that the prayers get answered. Maybe it is what happens as we pray (the line in-between the dots).  Don't get me wrong, answered prayers are special.  The answer never changes me.  It is just the conclusion of a situation.  It is the ending point and beginning point (the dot).  Next time when I feel the need to reflect on 'my story,' or even tell my story I shouldn't highlight or try to remember the bullet points.  Just maybe I should understand my lines of how I got there, because that is actually where real change happens.

No comments:

Post a Comment