Saturday, January 13, 2018

"Safe in the Storm"

Today, I traveled into a storm system.  I experienced winds, rain, sleet, ice and snow.  I knew driving would be difficult.  It stresses my dad out when I travel, especially if I do while it is storming.  I am a daddy's girl, but he also works in a field where he has seen many fatalities.  I am almost 38-yrs-old, actually in 4 days I will be, happily married, have a home, good job, mother of two, but I will assure you once I am on the road three hours later I will call my dad. "Dad, I made it safe, and I love you."

Lately, I have had friends go through some storms.  Now there are different levels of storms, but storms nonetheless are storms.  All storm systems react and feel different depending on location, but it still can be the same system.  People might receive only high winds, while others might experience whole towns underwater. The definition of storm is a violent disturbance in the atmosphere or tumultuous reaction.  One might wonder why do we have them.  Without the storms things could not grow, change,  or be exposed.  It seems the more we challenge the storm the more violent it becomes in our lives.  I am gathering in my experience that we are at the mercy of the storms.  I cannot change weather patterns, and I cannot change storms that I might encounter in my life.  How I deal with them is the key...  Do the floods create destruction or can I see the rebuilding needed?  Do I let the wind blow electrical lines down, and sit without power, or do I go buy a generator?  There are times we get so emotionally wrapped up in the storms that we create an atmosphere that changes the landscape, which influences the storms we endure.  It is much like mountain ranges, jet streams, and costal winds.

While traveling through the storm, I realized my focused changed.  It changed from singing songs from the top of my lungs to, what is the temperature now, as rain turned to ice.  Thoughts of my boys came to my mind while driving.  "Wonder if they are ok in this storm?  Be safe Chana. Concentrate Chana. Just keep going. Watch the road.  Dad will kill me if I wreck.  I do not want to tell him if I do.  Oh, here comes a Semi. Just be safe, stay alert."  Over and over my thoughts went.  I realized I had the drive to push through it and felt somewhat safe in my Chevy Truck.  We had multiple family members traveling in the storm to reach the same destination.  However, a family that was traveling had to stop an hour away from our destination, because they did not have a four wheel drive vehicle. It is a new vehicle and even made by the same company as my truck, but no four wheel drive.  It was safer for them to stop.

It is imperative to understand the vehicle your traveling in while going through a storm.  It keeps you safe. It keeps you moving.  Can it handle the weather?  Know the weakness of when to stop, when to go, and when to just park it.  Through it all, my understanding is know how dependable your vehicle will be to weather the storms actually, not the storm itself.  Its whole purpose is movement from point A to B.  And at the end of the storm you can say, "Dad, I made it safe, and I love you."


No comments:

Post a Comment