Sunday, January 28, 2018

"Put Me In Coach"

I woke up this morning after a three day stretch of middle school girl's basketball games, thinking to myself; What constitutes a win?  All our games ended with a win for us, I might add.  However, is a win just measured by score? Being number one?  Most points made?  Making my question more complicated is a win the same as success?

Every time I coach no matter the age of the athlete you deal with the same issues. Maybe different intensity, but same root issues.  Parents who think their child is the best: Why are they not playing more?  Why are they not getting the ball more, running the ball more, pitching the ball more?  My favorite is, you are a terrible coach, statements from parents.  Then you play teams that are totally gunning for you.  You walk in their gym or on their field, and the whole community just wants to hate you, because of a win from two years ago.  (Me even typing that, it makes me laugh at how ridiculous that is.) Yet, they also make sure they find the ref or umpire that hates you just as much to bend calls.  Finally then, you have to deal with players.  Players that do not believe in themselves.  Players that have great ability, but are uncoachable. Players that lack in ability, but have heart.  Players that have no clue how good they are, so they goof off.  Nevertheless, if you mutter through all that and in a game get a win, sometimes you do not realize what a miracle that just might be.

But back to my original question, Is a win the same as success?  I am going to say, "No."  The more I think about it, the more I believe a win is settling for less in the pursuit for success.  Success has no end, you can always be more successful.  However, when the clock horn sounds, or at the end of the 9th inning...you will find a win or a lose.  Both could be a measure of success.  I told the girls last night before the game, "Success is when preparation and opportunity meet."  The measure of preparation will determine the level of success once you have the opportunity to succeed.  I have gotten the chance to watch girls who never played the game of basketball succeed, because they wanted to be successful, not just win.  It was about development of their self.  Those who get stuck in the muck of opinionated parents, uncoachable attitudes, or hung up on wins or loses stifle real success from ever happening.  If they are lucky they might get a win here or there.

Sports throughout the years have taught me many life lessons.  Those that I have coached no matter the age I have tried to give those nuggets to them as I too try to use them.  In life you are going to have "haters"  no matter what you do.  You could be the best coach, teacher, parent, employee, player, or spouse, but someone is going to have an opinion that you are not the right person for the job.  You will hear people are replaceable in positions.  However, those statements typically get in people's heads to create poor attitudes, because those opinions/ statements have some truth.  So then the weight of success falls on you.  Will you settle for a few wins or will you be successful at wherever your feet are planted?  Will your preparation when given the opportunity create success?

My daddy taught me along time ago a lesson that seems to have missed some generations.  Stop playing the blame game.  Lack of success is never because of an outside source.  It is not because you work for a bad company, have terrible coaches, your spouse is mean, your parents did not care, or even that you grew up poor.  Lack of success happens because YOU do not put in the time for preparation.

I guess my thoughts this morning boil down to this... MY preparation will determine MY success when given the opportunity, and hopefully I will get a few wins along the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment